Sunday, January 12, 2014

Wiltshire Pantry - Bakery and Cafe (Louisville, KY)

I am not usually brunch person, being cost conscious and also aware of the fact that I can always scrounge together at least a bowl of cereal for a Sunday meal, but I made an exception today.  I made an exception because I heard so many rave reviews about a new brunch/breakfast place in town that I just had to try.  Thus began my journey to the Wiltshire Pantry.

The pantry is located off Barrett Avenue near downtown Louisville in a tiny little shop that backs onto its own catering premisis.  Arriving at noon on Sunday I was shocked to find a spartan selection of a few pastries and quiches.  To make matters more confusing, they had half-priced day old pastries displayed right next to the fresh ones.  So it was quite a shock to find out you weren't getting fresh goodies when choosing a particular item.  Well, I had gone this far so....I chose an apricot danish and a cappucino for breakfast.  My friend had the pain au raisin and a cappucino as well.  As the cash register was not located in a visible place it was confusing to even figure out how to pay for the meal but after that was finally accomplished we were seated.

To say that my pastry was lack luster may be a bit of an understatement.  When I'm getting charged $3 or $4 for pastry, especially at a place known for their pastries I expect beautiful, flaky goodness. The danish I ate was dry, flavorless, and totally unspectacular.  My friend said that her pain au raisin was no better than one of Kroger quality (and those pastries are only $0.99!).  The coffees were strong but average.  Also they were not served with sugar, a saucer, or even a spoon so it was difficult to properly adjust them for taste.  The ambiance was a bit dim and we ended up getting shafted to a dark table on the side since most of the tables near the window were taken.

I understand that as a baking graduate of the Culinary Institute of America I have high standards.  But c'mon guys these pastries were not even barely adequate.  I may be a bit harsh but I still maintain that Blue Dog Bakery on Frankfort Ave. is the only place to get a good breakfast pastry or for that matter, a loaf of bread.  Blue Dog, you can take a sigh of relief.  No competition here.

No comments:

Post a Comment